Put on the full armor of God…with your feet
fitted with the readiness that comes with the gospel of peace…” Eph 6:15
Anything I’ve ever heard about
The Armor of God section of Ephesians has a lot to do with some serious
tactical battle approaches. You
know what I’m talking about- do a quick consultation with Mr. Google and you’ll
dig up about five hundred essays on how soldiers had spikes in their shoes to
keep them from falling over- the gospel of peace should be like shoe
spikes. Essays on how peace gives
you a firm chin, where you can resolutely march forward in the thickest battles-
the gospel of peace makes you a good stiff upper lip. Essays that convey the ugliness of combat, bayonets lifted
and war cries ring out- the gospel of peace stabs out in the darkness,
slaughtering all that is…non-peaceful?
Hang with me here. I know that Paul is writing about how
we need to put on armor because spiritual battle is ACTUALLY intense and ought
to be taken seriously. This is a
war metaphor during a time of great civil unrest and brutality and The Enemy creates
unrest and brutality. Paul is
talking in terms that the people understand, and naturally, it rather sticks in
the craw of a staunch, do-till-you-die pacifist.
However.
This is a long introduction to
say that this morning, I was struck by the fact that we are made READY by the
gospel peace. Our feet are fitted
with readiness because of PEACE.
What does that mean? When I
think of peace, I do not think of a stiff upper lip. I do not think of shoe spikes. I do not think of bayonets and stabbing. I do think of Middle C- that perfect
note singing clear through darkness.
I do think of quiet meadows by cool streams, with sunlight vacillating
between the trees. I do think of
adventure- that wild joy of verdant youth, always prepared to jump because the
ground will always catch you.
Our feet are fitted with
readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.
I feel anxious about The Future
(oh yes, that theme, again) and this morning I felt a sigh of relief. I am made ready for the future by
internalizing NOW the gospel of peace.
The gospel of peace. The
unconditional acceptance from a God who loves me. The undeserved mercy and compassion extending over ALL who
hurt and ache and are weary. The
victory that causes weapons of death to be hammered out into ploughs of life-
tools that encourage food and health.

No comments:
Post a Comment